In 2013 Motiv Strategies defined the Design Value Index (DVI), an investment tool which identifies organisations which integrate design thinking into their business model. The latest edition of the annual index found that its portfolio of 16 companies showed a 211% return over the S&P 500, marking the third consecutive year that the index has shown an excess of 200% over the S&P.
The six Design Value Index (DVI) criteria are:
- Design is used at scale across the organization, both within business units and as a centrally managed function with a high degree of influence with its senior leadership team.
- Design is clearly built into the structure and processes of the organization, such as its organization charts and process maps.
- The design function is managed by an experienced executive or executive-level head of design, with typically 15 to 20 years of design management experience, who can interface with senior leadership.
- Design sees a growing level of investment to support its growing influence.
- Design is a centrally managed function with a high degree of influence with its senior leadership team
- The company has been publicly traded on a U.S. exchange for the last ten years.